Sunday, September 19, 2010

creepy creepy tanukis






SO!
I haven't really updated since Friday I think but here's what's been goin' on:
Sat: Orientation with 3 other AFSers
Sun: Biwa lake Museum
Mon: *Day off school* Went to look at Japanese yakimono (clay dishes and cups and stuff) and a Tanuki army.

Sat:
Was the orientation with the three other AFS people in Shiga-ken. It was pretty fun but it took ALL DAY! I left the house at 1:30 and got back at 10 or so. And we really just went over the rules again and talked about Japan life so far. Apparently I'm the one with the least amount of problems! (yay!!!) All they talked to me about was making sure I'm over my cold and stay off the Internet (they say once a week is best...but really...the average American AND Japanese teen spends a bit more time online than that) and I'm only really on for 30min to look at facebook and my blog. but alright, I can try less time. As far as the other students goes: one of them is changing families, another wants to change families (the family abuses their cat apparently and it makes him really uncomfortable..) and the other student loves her host family but can't eat or sleep well with the weather this hot, and shes using the AC too much (which is expensive) (shes from freezing canada)
Other than the issues I've decided to ask about swimming since soccer probably wont work out. It was fun just talking in Japanglish to students and the adults (most of them are English teachers) and one person who is from New Zealand and went to Belgium and is not living in Japan.

Sun: Went to Biwa Lake Museum. Pretty much a museum aquarium combo. It was pretty interesting (except I couldn't read anything, that's a bit of a problem). I think Trivium was playing a concert next door too...
It was really just your average aquarium though
Monday: Went to see yakimono and tanukis...I don't like tanukis (its a "dog-raccoon")
They're just plain creepy. And there was an entire ARMY of them. Apparently its a really famous sculpture in Japan. I don't know much more than that though. If you stare at them long enough they start to look like their breathing...
Not kidding.
We also went to...I guess a modern sculpture..park? of lunch. Walked around there for a while.
Also visited one of Japan's old capitals. There was nothing left except a small shrine though. It was only the capital for 3 years and then it burned to the ground because of an earthquake. Oh well?

No comments:

Post a Comment