Thursday, September 2, 2010

book stores, kyudo and stuff

alright. so.
...i forget what i was going to say...
ah! book stores. so basically my host mom trusted me with going to the bookstore by myself and making it back in time for dinner. I thought it was going to be a tiny hole-in-the-wall store but nooooooooo it was huge! the bottom floor was books and magazines and office supplies? and such and the top floor was movies and cds. it was AWESOME. I got stationary, a pen, and yotsubato (i have the english version back home).
today, school was much better. I showed people pictures and ate lunch in the cafeteria (usually eat in homeroom) and ran around school with people. AND we had kyudo today. kyudo is japanese archery where they have tall tall tall bows and a whole preparation ritual almost. its pretty serious stuff. and its also really hard. because the bow is pretty heavy and then the string is really tight and they hold it up pretty high...that combo is purty harsh.
i had a total "when in Rome" moment today too. during the beginning of kyudo club everyone lined up. and then all of a sudden someone said something (no. i don't know what) and everyone kneeled down all at once. so i basically faked my way through some ancient japanese starting-kyudo-club ritual i think. something like kneel with your left foot forward, sit on your knees, hands sorta by your hips, bow, yell something, roll call, yell something again, pray?, yell, bow, stand up.

yeah. faked it all. stood up confused.

kyudo is pretty interesting though. I didn't get to try it yet but i tried "air" kyudo hahaha. I also got to watch everyone. and I had to introduce myself in front of everyone. and then they all bowed in unison...and it scared me. HOW DO THEY KNOW TO DO IT?!

anyways. that's about it. kyudo goes until 6:30pm and then it takes 15min to get home via bike. and its already dark by then.
so I'm obviously tired.
in fact.
so tired I'm not going to reread this or spell check.
you all know what i mean anyways!
(sorry. no pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment