Friday, October 1, 2010

Pancakes and cars



So, I guess first of all it all started with a headache. Because of this headache I didn't go to Kyudo club the other day and instead decided to treat myself to a snack at the convenience store on the way home. I'm not completely familiar with the roads yet, but I knew I was on a street that would eventually take me to a conbini...seeing as they're EVERYWHERE. At this time a few things happened. I saw a car flipped over, I was riding my bike through a group of kids on the sidewalk, and I hear someone say "Kurisuchin" or the small Japanese child version of Kristine. So I slammed on the breaks and turned around and there was Mikihiro sitting at the scene with a bunch of little kids and no Mom in sight.

Whhaaaat????

I was confused.

I think Host Mom had gone to buy groceries and Mikihiro was playing with kids across the street when they heard the crash and came to see. Turns out that I was one street over from my house hah.

So that was interesting. Also, when trying to direct traffic (because it was closed to one lane) there was almost ANOTHER accident because the police men decided to direct their sides at the same time. genius.

Anyways, just another random thing I've noticed about Japan. They LOVE pancakes. I mean, I thought I loved pancakes but I've never seen this kind of affection for pancakes or hotcakes as they call them (hotto-keki). I've seen pancake recipe books and magazines. Ive seen pancake flavored candy, chocolate and cereal. I've seen pancake cellphone key chains and folders and pen cases and what not. It's INSANE. But I'm really not complaining. the pancake chocolate is super good. It's like a cookie covered in a buttery pancakey chocolate and a layer of actual syrup inside. AWESOME. weird. but AWESOME.

That's all I can really think to post right now. I'm working on a video for international club and also Mikihiro's sports day, so I'll post that eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment